Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Big Wait

"Well, the fact is I never know where my books come from, and I never go out looking for ideas. It all seems to happen in a way that has nothing to do with me. One day something is there that wasn't there the day before."

--Paul Auster


For the last few weeks I've been steadily waiting for 'The Big Black' to come together, but so far it remains a fragment of an idea. I try not to push it or force it to fit into some preconceived notion of what a story should properly be like, but sometimes the whole process is damned frustrating. Lately I've been staying awake for hours when I should be sleeping, trying to let things connect in my head. I've got to try and cut that out.

Anyways, that's what I've been doing for awhile now...sketching and waiting for the big black idea to coalesce.


-----------------------------------------------


There's always a tendency to catagorize the best books/movies/music/etc at the end of the year in a kind of retrospective. I can't make a Top Ten list of the best comics of 2007 because there's plenty potential ones out there that I haven't read yet (like Shaun Tan's "The Arrival", Matt Kindt's "Super Spy", or Paul Karasik's apparently awesome book on Fletcher Hanks, "I Shall Destroy All the Civilized Planets", if that can be included in such a list), but right now I feel it would be extraordinarily hard to top Acme Novelty Library #18 as the best comic of the year.

1 comment:

Paul Karasik said...

Thanks for the kind words about my book, "I Shall Destroy All the Civilized Planets: The Comics of Fletcher Hanks". I hope that someone gives it to as a gift so that you get a chance to read the weird and wond4erful work of Fletcher Hanks.

Readers unfamiliar with Hanks work may want to slide over to the BONUS page of my website for a slideshow of a full length Fantomah story that does NOT appear in the book:

www.fletcherhanks.com