Saturday, July 28, 2007

"I don't remember that I was ever President."


There's maybe never been a U.S. President who hated being President more than William Taft. His life-long goal was to be a Supreme Court Justice instead--his wife was the source of the Taft family's Presidential ambition.

Taft's presidency was fairly lackluster, and he remains the only President to ever come in 3rd in a national reelection (after Woodrow Wilson and Teddy Roosevelt, who was running as the Bull Moose 3rd party candidate).

Today he's mostly known as "the fat President". Yes, it's true that he often got stuck in his bathtub, and had an oversized one installed in the White House (it was removed years later). Though within a year of leaving office Taft lost approximately 80 lbs.

I'm not what you'd call a fan of the guy, I really just felt like drawing him (rather than, say, Chester A. Arthur). I suppose I admire the way he ended up, though, as a Supreme Court Justice at last--Chief Justice, actually. Good for Taft.

Not Taft-related: I walked into a gas station this week and saw this ad--



Now, my favorite opening line of any book ever is from Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451--"It was a pleasure to burn." I have no idea how this particular ad slogan was created, but if they lifted it from that line, well, I have to have some kind of respect for that. Even if they're using it in such an outright evil manner.

4 comments:

Crusty Hank VIII said...

Taft wasn't a werewolf too, was he?

Maybe a werewalrus?

That guy in the cigarette ad though, looks like he was the romantic lead in "Werewolves on Hotwheels!"

Dax said...

No, only Polk was a werewolf. Taft was just naturally...walrusy.

Anonymous said...

Well...only way to be sure...dig him up and run some tests.

--jpw

Anonymous said...

Love the Taft portrait ...